I can’t remember exactly when I started scribbling bits of music down on paper in text form, though it must have been sometime around 1986 or 87.
However, I do have a very precise date for when I released version 1.0 of abc2mtex on an unsuspecting world – 8th December 1993 – exactly 20 years ago today.
Happy birthday, abc! (And thanks to all those who have contributed software, tunes, help and suggestions over the years.)
Nearly a year ago I thought it would be a nice idea to incorporate scalable vector graphics into the site … shouldn’t take too long, I thought …
Read more » At last …
I’m very pleased to announce that the mobile version of abcnotation.com has just been launched.
Optimised for smart-phones and other hand-held devices you can find it at abcnotation.com/mobile.
Read more » abcnotation.com goes mobile
It’s that time of year again so I thought I’d give a quick round-up of what’s been going on here in abc land over the past year:
Read more » Happy new year
A round-up of changes to the site since June …
Read more » October updates
A quick round up of updates to abcnotation.com since last time:
Read more » June updates
A quick round up of the changes to the site since the last update in February:
Read more » April updates
What would you like to see next on abcnotation.com?
Here are some of the possibilities:
- A tune player with speed controls – so you can listen to the midi files slowed down or speeded up
- A tune upload facility – so you can create your own pages and even, optionally, add tunes to the tune search
- Links to amazon.com – so you can search for recorded versions of tunes
- A smart-phone app that connects to the tune search – so you can access it anywhere
- Allow comments on tune pages – so you can add notes & comments
- Melody search – so you can find tunes by searching for a sequence of notes
Vote now, or add a comment below to make more suggestions.
I’ve recently been playing around with some code to prevent hotlinking of the images on the site.
Hotlinking is when a page in one website displays an image served from another website.
Read more » Stop thief