Drum Patterns

For discussing the use of abc to create multi-voice scores
SteveMerrony
Humanity check: a real person
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 3

Drum Patterns

Postby SteveMerrony » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm setting some music theatre pieces and although I'm very happy doing the instrumental parts, I must say I find the drums a bit of a challenge.

Does anyone have any 'standard' patterns to share?

My attempt at a "Basic Rock 4" is this...

Code: Select all

[^F,,C,,]z[^F,,D,,]z[^F,,C,,]z[^F,,D,,]z

And by extension, a "Basic Rock 8" might be...

Code: Select all

[^F,,C,,]^F[^F,,D,,]^F[^F,,C,,]^F[^F,,D,,]z^F

Anyone got anything they might share?

tpaysen
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 3

Re: Drum Patterns

Postby tpaysen » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:27 pm

What KIND of drum (patterns) are you working with? (these seemed 'tuned'--like tympani parts?). Or are you putting different percussion instruments on different staff lines?

TP

REH
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 4

Postby REH » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:39 pm

Steve, was there any progress on this? I'd love to use ABC notation to keep track of (and play for me) drum patterns I'm trying to master. I pasted a line of your code into one of my working ABC notation files and it didn't seem to play -- no error message, but no sound, either. Am I missing something?

Thanks. -- Rachel Holmen, Berkeley, CA, USA

REH

Postby REH » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:56 pm

I stumbled onto the following interesting paragrah in the BARFLY documentation*:

"A BETTER SOUND
There are hundreds of musical instrument sounds available through Quicktime. Under the Play menu, go to the Instrument sub-menu and choose Add an Instrument. The Irish reel above was transcribed by Henrik Norbeck, who plays the flute, so let's install that instrument first. In the instrument picker dialog, choose Quicktime Music Synthesiser from the top popup menu, Pipe from the Category popup and Flute from the Instrument popup. You can try out the sound of the instrument on the keyboard at the bottom of the dialog. Hit OK. Look at the Instrument sub-menu again. It should now contain Flute, and that item should be checked. Now play the tune again. You can install as many instruments as you like on the menu, but if you add too many it gets a bit cumbersome. To remove an instrument hold down the option key while you choose its name from the menu. (You can't remove Acoustic Grand Piano, as you need at least one instrument on the menu.)"

*BarFly interprets ABC notation files for Macintosh, and will play them and display sheet music.

So I've added a percussion instrument, and for the moment selected "Taiko Drum"; we'll see how that works. There are other choices as well, including "Woodblock", which might help me learn bodhran drumming patterns. And there's a whole other category of "Chromatic Percussion" which includes Celeste and Marimba; and a section of "Special Effects".

So far, the Taiko Drum setting seems to meet my needs. -- Rachel Holmen

REH

Postby REH » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:30 am

Steve: I was able to play your notation today; not sure why it didn't work yesterday.

Return to “Scores”