Irish Whistle Smear?

For general discussions about abc notation
hsmyers
Humanity check: a real person
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 3

Irish Whistle Smear?

Postby hsmyers » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:41 am

I'm working on transcribing 'The Penny Whistle Book' for my own use. I've run into a small problem and that is with what Robin Williams refers to as a smear; defined as 'A smear (marked sm above the written note) is to be played by fingering the note below the written note and gradually smearing the finger across the finger hole towards the hand so that the sound slides up to the pitch as written.' I can indicate this easily with "sm" in the note text, but that does not affect the playback of the music. I've added a J which seems about right to my ear, but my ear is hardly to be trusted in such things. I notice I could also use !slide! as well. So the question is: what is the preferred method to correctly indicate and sound a smear for the Irish Whistle?

Mikethebook
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 3

Re: Irish Whistle Smear?

Postby Mikethebook » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:33 am

I don't think it matters, J or !slide! work the same. I've never heard of a smear. To me it is just a normal slide/bend but used in the context of falling notes.

mohsin147
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 4

Re: Irish Whistle Smear?

Postby mohsin147 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:25 am

I can indicate this easily with "sm" in the note text, but that does not affect the playback of the music. I've added a J which seems about right to my ear, but my ear is hardly to be trusted in such things. I notice I could also use !slide! as well.

Return to “General”