MidiZys2abc: Import MIDI files with embellishments

For discussing abc notation software
AlexMidiCond
Humanity check: a real person
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 3

MidiZys2abc: Import MIDI files with embellishments

Postby AlexMidiCond » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi, Chris and all,

the other day I published "yet another" gratis Midi-to-Abc converter, called MidiZyx2abc. The distinguishing mark is to allow the users to use their favourite MIDI sequencer to add certain text marks to their MIDI files (typically large scores), which are then translated to ABC bells and whistles.

Please mention this software in your lists, and try it out if interested. The URL is http://www.midicond.de/Freeware/index_en.html.

The following questions about the standard have arisen from this work; can you either answer them or point me to the answer? (I would not like to join the Yahoo group for fear of spam and profiling.):

When abcm2ps encounters a line of notes ending with a backslash, it breaks the printed lines according to its own calculation, which is normally desirable. If however a line does not end with a backslash, abcm2ps breaks the printed line immediately. First question: Is this actually the standard? If not, what is?

Secondly, abcm2ps expects any lyrics line (w:) directly after the corresponding note line, even if the latter ends with a backslash, whereas the example in the "Standard" document suggest otherwise. Is that a typo or misunderstanding, and is there perhaps room for compromise? How do other tools interpret the continuation marks?

MidiZyx2abc will certainly continue to support abcm2ps users including myself (actually I plug MidiZyx2abc into the ABCexplorer in lieu of midi2abc). In case there is a considerable demand for a different behaviour, described precisely, I will include a switch to support it alternatively.

I would be glad to read your comments and ideas here, if permitted. Otherwise, would someone please start a thread on Yahoo quoting, or linking to, my post here? Those who prefer to mail me will find an address on the homepage. Thanks in advance for your involvement.

Alex

AlexMidiCond

Re: MidiZys2abc: Import MIDI files with embellishments

Postby AlexMidiCond » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:34 pm

Hi again,

I have decided to offer the switch described above in my version 0.01, now available for download. I adopted the following interpretation of ABC2.0, paragraph 2.3: A line not ending with a backslash shall not force a line break in the printed result. If this is implemented in any software (which one?), it is a contradiction to the behaviour of abcm2ps, so my switch is necessary. I am looking forward to more comments.

Alex

danceinsky

Re: MidiZys2abc: Import MIDI files with embellishments

Postby danceinsky » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:45 am

If this is implemented in any software (which one?), it is a contradiction to the behaviour of abcm2ps, so my switch is necessary. I am looking forward to more comments.

Rc Helicopters Reviews|Rc Helicopter

Return to “Software”