esclinux projet: linux livecd and repository

For discussing abc notation software
farvardin

esclinux projet: linux livecd and repository

Postby farvardin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:35 pm

Esclinux is a project I started a few years ago. It was initially only a linux livecd but I've started it from beginning again, using a different linux distribution (archlinux instead of debian).

This time I've created several "PKGBUILD*" related to ABC notation, allowing archlinux users to easily install those ABC packages on their system, without the need to run the livecd. A new livecd is still available though.

It's located at http://esclinux.tuxfamily.org/

* PKGBUILDs are "receipe" to automatically build and install software on archlinux systems, with only one command. I've created also a repository so people don't have to compile everything from source and can use binary packages.

ialongiya
Humanity check: a real person
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 3

Re: esclinux projet: linux livecd and repository

Postby ialongiya » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:33 am

What is the easiest Linux version to install and use for a newbie? I have never installed nor used Linux before. I heard it's better than Windows and i have a spare old laptop which is broken now. Now i thought about installing Linux on it. But since i never used Linux before, i need a version which is easy to install and use for a newb like me. And i have also a few questions about it: Can i still play Java games such as RuneScape? Can i still browse the web like on Windows? Thanks in advance!

farvardin

Re: esclinux projet: linux livecd and repository

Postby farvardin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:46 am

Yes you can use java applets on Linux (I can play Runescape too on my computer), you can also play flash games or video. For browsing other websites, it shouldn't be a problem, as long the websites are not supporting microsoft only technologies (silverlight, activex, windows media video and such). But for 99% of websites it's generally ok.

For newcomers, I think Linux Mint is not bad: http://www.linuxmint.com/

Return to “Software”