The new style search facility

For posting comments and suggestions about the abcnotation.com website
Chris P

The new style search facility

Postby Chris P » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi Chris,
Call me an old stick-in-the-mud, but I don't like the new tune-search thingy as much as the old one. I found the old one much easier to see whether a result was the one I wanted. Is there some advantage to the new one?
Chris.

cwalshaw
Site Admin

Re: The new style search facility

Postby cwalshaw » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:54 pm

I'm not really sure what you mean. The tune search hasn't changed essentially - just the navigation menu which is now horizontal at the top rather than vertical on the left. The search results themselves should be exactly the same.

I suppose the only thing that has changed though is that the search now includes copyright tunes (which do not show dots or a midi player). But these are in addition to what was there already.

Chris

Chris P

Postby Chris P » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:38 pm

ooh er!
I'm in Firefox, and the blue navigation boxes are indeed across the top.
All except for the Search box, which now seems to be a Google search box saying <"google" custom search>, with a press button below it.
When it returns a search, instead of a nice list of abc tunes in notation form, from which you can immediately see which is your prefered tune, now you get just a list of websites containing your search term, not necessarily an abc tune, as per Google seach, each one of which you have to then open individually to look for the tune you want.

cwalshaw
Site Admin

Postby cwalshaw » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:15 am

Ah I see.

There are two search boxes - the abc tune search which is available at http://abcnotation.com/search (and if you click on "tunes") and the google site search (top right). You want the former one.

The google site search has always been top right (for months now) but I can see where the confusion arises.

I'll have a think about it.

Chris

Chris P

Postby Chris P » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:46 pm

Got it! :roll:
It honestly didn't seem obvious to me that it was a search facility. Am I being dim?

cwalshaw
Site Admin

Postby cwalshaw » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:22 pm

No I don't think you're being dim - it wasn't that clear.

I've made a couple of changes now - the menu at the top says "tune search" rather than "tunes" and if you do use the google site search it gives you a large reminder that the tune search exists.

Sorry for the confusion,

Chris

Chris P

Postby Chris P » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:51 pm

Great stuff, thanks. :D

alieen2
Humanity check: a real person
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 4

Postby alieen2 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:59 am

I suppose the only thing that has changed though is that the search now includes copyright tunes (which do not show dots or a midi player). But these are in addition to what was there already.
emma

Return to “Website”