Transposing

For general discussions about abc notation
yorkiebartram
Humanity check: a real person
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 3

Transposing

Postby yorkiebartram » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:36 am

Is there an easy way to transpose tunes to a different key?

cwalshaw
Site Admin

Re: Transposing

Postby cwalshaw » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:49 pm

A number of software packages (but not all) have transposition built in - see the software page (each table has a transpose column).

Alternatively, if you just want to transpose a single tune, try the abc converter which offers the option to show the transposed abc.

Chris

Chris P

Postby Chris P » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:18 am

Hi Chris,
According to the ABCedit website, that program will also play the tune and transpose it, which your chart isn't showing at the moment.

cwalshaw
Site Admin

Postby cwalshaw » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:27 pm

Thanks - now updated. Chris

yorkiebartram

Postby yorkiebartram » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:47 pm

Terrific. I'm very new to this software - and very impressed! The Converter is a wonderfully easy option. I don't think I'll want to transpose many tunes but will look into ABC Explorer which appears to have all I'll need. Thanks very much, Chris and Chris.
All the best, Chris (!)

Jon Freeman

Postby Jon Freeman » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:02 pm

Just so you know, yorkiebarm, ours (abc converter at folkinfo.org) is only really a bit of "glue" to run abcm2ps. abcmidi, abc2abc (and ghostscript) from a web form. The clever (and way beyond me...) stuff is these command line programs.

seashanty

Postby seashanty » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:24 pm

Greetings,
I'm relatively new to abc and totally new here. My first post--apologies in advance for length.
In transposing abc tunes I've noticed something odd and cannot figure it out. I've noticed that sometimes when tranposing a tune, the transposed version contains interval changes. Specifically two neighboring notes separated by two semitones in the original version end up being separated by only 1 semitone in the transposed version. I tested this using both ABCedit and ABC-transposer with the same result. This suggests something about the original abc code, but I'm not familiar enough with the nuance of abc code to explain it. One specific example is in transposing from Gm (2-flats) to Em (1 sharp) so I can easily read the music for a whistle. The original phrase (in Gm) is three notes D-C-Bb (C is middle C) with two semitones in each of the two intervals. The transposed phrase (Em) is B-A-G#, which has only one semitone in the second interval. The orginal abc code (Gm) for this interval is "LDCB" (quotes added). I don't know what the L prefix is (a short-hand for commas??). Does this have something to do with it?
Thanks in advance!!

Return to “General”