FiveLineSkink
10%
abcMIDI
13%
Other
7%

Total votes: 30

farvardin

Re: What is your favourite abc software?

Postby farvardin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:39 pm

maybe the previous votes are wiped out when adding a new entry, so it's more fair for the newcomer entry.

About editing posts, it's usually a good thing to allow this so we can correct mistakes and typo, in case someone modify the post after the reply, there is a warning about this ("last modified...")

Jon Freeman

Postby Jon Freeman » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:28 am

Not an easy question and I don't actually write much abc. For a while, I've been mostly keeping a site that uses abc running rather than using much of it (or any notation/music) myself.

I could come down on the side of abcm2ps as these days and with the absence of anything beyond dafts for some time and no standard dealing with w:, I take it as the closest to a standard we have.

For use at folkinfo, I'd not like to be without abcm2ps or the abcmidi (we use abc2abc as well as the abc2mid) package and feel a need both to produce a "sheet music" representation and a playable midi file.

For personal use, I like something that shows the dots and easily allows playback (I have to hear things). I'd say BarFly is the most complete implementation I've have tried but I don't have a Mac and have not had that great a success dabbling with emulators. I think 5LineSkink holds the greatest hope for me and really must (I did start looking a while a go but it got forgotten about with other things going on in life...) at the new release. It's has the potential to be my first choice for writing abc.

Jack Campin

Postby Jack Campin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:49 pm

BarFly. Though it's a moribund program and I need to bite the bullet sometime and start using something less convenient but with more of a future.

Leon Arundell
Humanity check: a real person
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 3

Postby Leon Arundell » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:07 am

I've been using ABC2Win quite successfully.

Return to “Software”