Problem with Notation

For general discussions about abc notation
Kevin McShane
Humanity check: a real person
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 3

Problem with Notation

Postby Kevin McShane » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:55 am

Hi Everyone
I am new to this forum only having joined today.
I am having a problem with my version of abcexplorer.
I have downloaded many folk and bluegrass tunes from various sites into abcexplorer and have learnt to play them thanks to the sheet music that the abc files produce and the ability of the player to alter the speed of the tune to suit my musical notation reading level. Once I know the tune I am then able to play along to the tune at its full speed.
PROBLEM: recently my computer told me I had little disc space remaining and advised me to get rid of programs infrequently used which I did.
When I came to use abcexplorer again I found that the part of the split screen that showed the notation or sheet music was blank each time I loaded a tune. I tried downloading new abc files but the result was the same - no sheet music.
I fear that during my disc spring clean I may have inadvertently erased some important part of the software that translates the abc files into notation.
Any suggestions as to what I can do to restore the sheet music facility of abcexplorer?
Many thanks.
Kevin

cwalshaw
Site Admin

Re: Problem with Notation

Postby cwalshaw » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Sounds like you may have removed abcm2ps. I think your easiest option might be to uninstall abcexplorer and then reinstall it.

Chris

Kevin McShane

Postby Kevin McShane » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:20 pm

Hi Chris
I had thought of that but I was worried that I might lose all my abc files I have already saved on abcexplorer.
I'll give it a try - I dare say I can download them all again at a later date.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Kevin

cwalshaw
Site Admin

Postby cwalshaw » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:24 am

I think it's installed in a different place to where it stores the files, but to be on the safe side maybe the best thing to do is:

1. back up your abc files - to find them click on Options > Directories and files - then copy them somewhere else
2. reinstall abcexplorer
3. if that doesn't work, uninstall abcexplorer and reinstall it again

Chris

Kevin McShane

Postby Kevin McShane » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:04 pm

Hi Chris

All done and dusted.
Downloaded abcexplorer again along with ghostscript (which I seem to remember getting rid of in my mad Spring Clean) and everything is working as it should and all files remain intact. Phew..!

Thank you for the help.

Kevin

sarahjoe
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 4

Postby sarahjoe » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:47 pm

I fear that during my disc spring clean I may have inadvertently erased some important part of the software that translates the abc files into notation.
sofi

Return to “General”