XML abc interface?

For discussing abc notation software
Fyffer

XML abc interface?

Postby Fyffer » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:39 pm

Has anyone heard of an XML interface for abc? Specifically, I'm looking for something in perl, and I'd like to be able to convert abc into some sort of xml format to allow for all sorts of indexing, among other things. I toyed with writing something a while ago, but I ran out of steam and out of time.

henrylawrence
Humanity check: a real person
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 3

Re: XML abc interface?

Postby henrylawrence » Sat May 22, 2010 11:02 am

I would like to be able to create abc notation from music xml files. I use MagicScore to write music, but I would like to make it available to the abc community without having to hand code everything. I could also go through midi or direct from MagicScore's .sfd format. Any ideas? Henry

cwalshaw
Site Admin

Postby cwalshaw » Fri May 28, 2010 8:10 am

Take a look at http://abcnotation.com/software#abc2xml - not quite what you're looking for but may help.

Chris

AlexMidiCond

Postby AlexMidiCond » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:12 am

Hi, Chris and all of you,

the "abc2xml" page you mention seems to support naked notes only. Does anyone know about a more comprehensive solution? A company named "Recordare" offers some rather expensive services and products, who has tried it?

I think it would help a lot if we could tell people "You can import your ABC texts to Sibelius and Finale, including dynamic marks, ornaments, and lyrics". Would that be true? Or is at least anybody working on it (the author/s of ABCJ)?

Alex

cwalshaw
Site Admin

Postby cwalshaw » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:46 pm

Funnily enough there's a discussion going on right now about converting between abc and xml. I've just added a link on the software page at http://abcnotation.com/software#abctoxml

Chris

AlexMidiCond

Postby AlexMidiCond » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks, Chris. I have read that discussion, and also on Mudcat, and I am not satisfied yet. Abc to MusicXML should be among the easier tasks to program. To buy yet another gigantic piece of software only for that task seems grotesque overkill.

To give a good example, I have published my own tool MidiZyx2abc as freeware (http://www.midicond.de/Freeware/index_en.html, I'll write about that on another thread). We must join forces, so now it's someone else's turn. Who shouts "here"?

Alex

Return to “Software”