software for printing abc

For discussing abc notation software
Chris P

software for printing abc

Postby Chris P » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:08 am

Abc2Win has excellent printing quality. However, it cannot handle multiple staves and clefs.
I use AbcExplorer, which does these things. But it uses abcm2ps for notation, and I find that I am not quite able to obtain the clarity of line of Abc2Win. What (free?) software do other users recommend when they need a very high quality printout? Or am I missing a trick?

Jon Freeman

Re: software for printing abc

Postby Jon Freeman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:07 pm

abcm2ps should be good.

I'm not sure how AbcExplorer works. What output format are you getting, eg. Is it the postscript from abcmp2ps or does it go through something else, eg. ghostscript to produce a png or a pdf? With our usage (which goes through ghostsript), I view the png output as "draft" quality and the pdf as "print" quality.

Chris P

Postby Chris P » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:04 pm

It occurred to me to directly compare a PDF I made with AbcExplorer some time ago, with exactly the same PDF printed again today, on the same paper, with the same Canon printer.

Under the magnifying glass it was obvious that the new print was much less crisp and much more splattery.

And then I remembered that the last time I renewed my black ink cartridge I bought a "Cartridgepoint" "OWN" brand instead of a Canon, (for the first and last time) figuring that as the print head is part of the machine and not part of the cartridge, the line would be the same. But the ink has spread away from where it was applied, producing a less clear edge.

I tried the same with ABC2Win, which I know normally produces very clear print, and the result was the same blurriness, no better than AbcExplorer. So the problem is the ink.

I now know why the Canon product costs almost twice as much.

colin ablitt
Humanity check: a real person
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 3

Postby colin ablitt » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:37 pm

I agree that the best image from abcexplorer comes via a pdf file.

Return to “Software”