Addition to ABC notation standard: SfzML

For discussions about the abc notation standard
laughingman182
Humanity check: a real person
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 3

Addition to ABC notation standard: SfzML

Postby laughingman182 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:58 am

Hi. I've been using ABC for some time, and I like where its heading. I like it so much, I'm kind of amazed none of the commercial notation editors make use of it. So I looked into why they don't. I found that they use MusicXML instead. But I happen to be an XML programmer, even if still learning. But if I did learn anything first and foremost about markup languages in general, its that content is king. And sadly, MusicXML doesn't follow that rule. I took a look at what makes up its markup tags, and I wasn't pleased. I saw things like bezier curves and attributes every where, many of which didn't have anything to do at all with music notation. On top of that, the specification of MusicXML uses only XML Schemas. I personally know that music notation in written form alone is difficult enough, but ABC notation is the only standard I see that comprehensively covers a great deal of the syntax and semantics of music notation, and even has a separation between the actual notation and formatting instructions. However, seeing as most of the web is turning toward using XML as a means for embedding markup into web pages, I was initially in a rut of how to find something to make ABC more web oriented.

Then I found a thing called MathML. What MathML does is provide a web based markup for representing mathematical equations as part of XHTML pages, and transforming them from within the browser to SVG images. I looked into how it worked, and foun that it used Unicode character codes for math symbols, and used a simplified markup for XSLT stylesheets to transform any MathML content in the page being loaded.

That made me inspired; I looked further into the Unicode specification, and found that there is in fact a range of characters designated for musical notation. I don't see how if we can have math equations being rendered within our web browsers, why we can't do the same for music notation. Except, the only XML format for music is...not suitable. Its far to complex to use, and I think it'd be much more useful if an XML vocabulary were made based off ABC notation. So I started a Google Code project and have been trying to write schemas for a markup language that can be easily transformed from and to ABC notation, and that uses newer schema languages like RELAX NG and Schematron for validation. I also would like to make a RELAX NG Compact schema for ABC notation itself. For more info on RELAX NG, head to this site: http://relaxing.org. For Schematron, head to this site: http://www.schematron.com. In any case, I'd like feedback on this, since I'd like to see ABC notation be a better music standard than any other before. I made this project to try to help extend ABC notation further, and I think music as a whole needs a better system for making composition faster and cleaner. The project page is here: http://code.google.com/p/sfzml/.

The other reason I'm making so much hype on a XML version of ABC notation is that Ive yet to see music notation in eBooks, and the fastest way to get to that point is through DocBook XML.
- Lee S.

Jef Moine

Re: Addition to ABC notation standard: SfzML

Postby Jef Moine » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:13 am

Hi,
I had a look at your job, and I am not sure about where you want to go.
In http://xml.coverpages.org/xmlMusic.html, they describe almost 18 XML music notations. Do you mean you want to create an other one?
In the other hand, the main advantage of ABC is its compactness, while XML is very verbose and not easy to write by hand. What could be the interest of your SfzML?

laughingman182

Postby laughingman182 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:33 pm

Jef Moine wrote:Hi,
I had a look at your job, and I am not sure about where you want to go.
In http://xml.coverpages.org/xmlMusic.html, they describe almost 18 XML music notations. Do you mean you want to create an other one?
In the other hand, the main advantage of ABC is its compactness, while XML is very verbose and not easy to write by hand. What could be the interest of your SfzML?

Well, actually, I considered what you said, and scrapped that project. Instead, I made a separate one, abcdtd, for providing an XML instance format for abc files. You're right; we don't need another XML music notation. We just need one that lets us continue using the text format, but support embedding in web pages, as planned for abc 2.4. Hopefully, this is a better approach...I'd like your feedback on this, since I'm young and need some guidance on this. Thank you!
- Lee S.

laughingman182

Postby laughingman182 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:34 pm

I have an update: I've canceled my efforts on SfzML and any form of attempt to embed abc into a markup. It's only after I realized that abc is more of a programming language with the syntax of music theory fundamentals, as opposed to a markup, that I've found that trying to make a markup for abc is useless.

Besides, there's always music21 and abcjs for embedding abc code in web sites & web browsers, respectively.
- Lee S.

Return to “Standard”