[Linux] Utility to Sort abc tunebook by tune name?

For discussing abc notation software
rlindau
Humanity check: a real person
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 3

[Linux] Utility to Sort abc tunebook by tune name?

Postby rlindau » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:52 am

I'm seeking an app (linux or web - or possibly a dos/windows app that might run under wine) that will let me sort my abc tunebooks. Any ideas?

Some background: I'm running Linux Mint 10 (~Ubuntu 10.10) with wine 1.3.8. I had used abc2win for years, and was able to get it work after I switched to linux (running it under wine), but but I can no longer get it to run with my current linux/wine release. I'm now trying out ABCJ as my main abc tool. There's a lot I like about ABCJ, but (unless I'm wacko) ABCJ can't sort tunebooks in tune name sequence (or, to sort the tune list display in name sequence, leaving the tunebook itself alone).

I guess I could use my text editor, but that would be a real pain-in-the-you-know-what.

Regards, Rob L

michel.isard

Re: [Linux] Utility to Sort abc tunebook by tune name?

Postby michel.isard » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:02 am

I hope have understood you request.

Please find enclosed an archive with to scripts and test files.

Usage :
- Unzip the archive
- Open the distrib directory
- Copy in it the abc file to be sorted
- in a shell type vim followed by the name of this file
- once vim lauched, type :so sort-titles.ex (double dot followed by 'sort-titles.ex')
- _wait end of messages_
- vim quits automatically and saves the output in a file named 'sorted_' followed by the name of the file

Warning : This script removes the texts aroung the tunes !
Compare the test file and the output to see the differences.

If you like, you can renumber X: fields with the RenumXFields.sh utility

Once in the distrib directory, in a shell type :

./RenumXFields.sh your-abc-filename

the name of output is 'renumbered_' followed by the name of the file

Warning : this utility works only with UNIX line end format
Before using with DOS or MAC file, convert it to UNIX

WARNING !!!! these scripts are not *fully* tested : keep a copy of the original files !!!!
Attachments
SortBook-V.2-distrib.tar.gz
(63.68 KiB) Downloaded 302 times

jimm1909

Postby jimm1909 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:08 am

rlindau wrote:I'm seeking an app (linux or web - or possibly a dos/windows app that might run under wine) that will let me sort my abc tunebooks. Any ideas?

Some background: I'm running Linux Mint 10 (~Ubuntu 10.10) with wine 1.3.8. I had used abc2win for years, and was able to get it work after I switched to linux (running it under wine), but but I can no longer get it to run with my current linux/wine release. I'm now trying out ABCJ as my main abc tool. There's a lot I like about ABCJ, but (unless I'm wacko) ABCJ can't sort tunebooks in tune name sequence (or, to sort the tune list display in name sequence, leaving the tunebook itself alone).

I guess I could use my text editor, but that would be a real pain-in-the-you-know-what.

Regards, Rob L

Did you end up finding what you were looking for?

Let me know.

Thanks,

-Jim
Last edited by jimm1909 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

michel.isard

Postby michel.isard » Tue May 08, 2012 6:06 pm

The following script works on GVIM (linux and windows versions)

It sorts abc tunebook by title name, and renumbers X: fields

(no editing needed ... the script does the job !)

It can be used by a non GVIM user ( if something wrong, the commands to exit are : <escape>:q! )

See instructions in the script for usage.

Code: Select all

" Lauched in GVIM (LINUX or WINDOWS versions) this ex command outputs .abc file sorted by titles                                             
"                                                                                                                                           
" GVIM VERSION = 7.3                                                                                                                         
"                                                                                                                                           
" USAGE :                                                                                                                                   
"    - copy this file (under name "sort-titles.ex") and the .abc file to sort in an emply directory                                                                       
"    - open the .abc file in GVIM   (file/open ...)                                                                                                         
"    - GVIM opened, type :so sort-titles.ex  (or :so sort<tab>) <enter>                                                                     
"    - WAIT messages !                                                                                                                       
"          - message in black and white are OK                                                                                               
"          - if messages in color, errors in the output : don't use it                                                                       
"    - VIM processes the file, saves output, and quit                                                                                       
"    The outpout is : sorted_MyAbcFile.abc                                                                                                   

" SCRIPT :                                                                                                                                   
"    Rename "file" as "sorted_file                                                                                                           
:f sorted_%                                                                                                                                 
"    Remove empty lines                                                                                                                     
:g/^[ \t]*$/d                                                                                                                               
"    Add an empty line at the end of file                                                                                                   
$s,$,\r                                                                                                                                     
"    Add an empty line before X: fields                                                                                                     
:%s,^X:,\r&                                                                                                                                 
"    Put tag \n at the end of lines with text                                                                                               
:v/^$/s,$,\\n,                                                                                                                               
"    Join each tune in a single line                                                                                                         
:g/^X:/,/^$/j                                                                                                                               
":w! debug "    Put this line on step you want to check output                                                                               
"    Call VIM internal sort command                                                                                                         
"    An sorts on the _first_ T: field                                                                                                       
:1,$sort i /^[^T]*T:/                                                                                                                       
"    Reformat tunes on multiple lines                                                                                                       
:%s,\\n,\r,g                                                                                                                                 
:%s,^ *,,g                                                                                                                                   
"    Renumber X: fields (to disable this function, put a " at the beginning on the following line                                           
:let   i=1 | g/^X:/s/[0-9]*$/\=i/ |let i=i+1                                                                                                 
":let   i=10000001 | g/^X:/s/[0-9]*$/\=i/ |let i=i+1                                                                                         
"    Save Renamed file and quit                                                                                                             
:wq!                                                                                                                                         

" COMMENTS :                                                                                                                                 
" In Others Words, we :                                                                                                                     
" -  put each tune on a signe line                                                                                                           
" -  sort the file vith VIM internal sort fonction (/^.*T:/ skips text before title)                                                         
" -  reformat the tunes in their usual format                                                                                               

"WARNING !!! ALL THE FREE TEXT _AROUND_ THE TUNES IF REMOVED ! (see sample file and output)                                                 
"            * ALWAYS KEEP A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL FILE ; DO NOT ERASE IT * !!!                                                               
"                                                                                                                                           
"Licence : the same as GVIM

P.S. : As I was unable to save the code window in a file with correct end of lines, there are the commands without comments :

"
:f sorted_%
:g/^[ \t]*$/d
$s,$,\r
:%s,^X:,\r&
:v/^$/s,$,\\n,
:g/^X:/,/^$/j
:1,$sort i /^[^T]*T:/
:%s,\\n,\r,g
:%s,^ *,,g
:let i=1 | g/^X:/s/[0-9]*$/\=i/ |let i=i+1
:wq!
"

for copying with mouse and paste in "sort-titles.ex" text file

Regards, Michel

swera
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 4

Postby swera » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:18 pm

I just released a new version of aABC which finally has searching incorporated.

It's version 0.2.6 and should be pushing out shortly.

Hope it's useful.
swera

Return to “Software”