confusion: clef middle-pitch

For discussions about the abc notation standard
skot
Humanity check: a real person
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 3

confusion: clef middle-pitch

Postby skot » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:14 am

What does middle= really do in the clef specifier? At first it seems like it will move the clef up and down on the staff:

[middle=<pitch>] - is an alternate way to define the line number of the clef. The pitch indicates what note is displayed on the 3rd line of the staff. Defaults are: treble: B; alto: C; tenor: A,; bass: D,; none: B.

My interpretation of this is that the effect of clef=treble middle=G would be the same as clef=treble line=3: to raise the treble clef up one line in the printed staff. It would still circle the note G but G would now live on the 3rd staffline instead of the 2nd. (Is this the right way to understand clef=treble line=3?)

But just a few lines later we have this statement:

The middle specifier can be handy when working in the bass clef. Setting K:bass middle=d will save you from adding comma specifiers to the notes.

This seems to imply that clef=bass middle=d is the same as clef=bass octave=-2, in other words middle= doesn't change what line the clef gets printed on, it changes the name of the note on the middle staff line! By this logic we should expect clef=treble middle=G to move G to the middle line of the staff, but the clef would stay on the 2nd line (E!). But that doesn't make any sense.

Is the second statement just wrong, or does the middle specifier change its behaviour when the note is an octave or more away?

skot

Re: confusion: clef middle-pitch

Postby skot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:07 pm

Sorry I meant clef=treble3 not clef=treble line=3

cboody

Postby cboody » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:35 am

Middle is a bit of a muddle, and I'd suggest not using it. Use clef=treble3 and the like to move the clef and use octave to shift octaves to avoid commas on input. This whole thing is currently under discussion (rather acrimonious discussion), and may change, but I think my two suggestions are widely accepted as continuing to exist.

cboody

Postby cboody » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:43 am

skot wrote:
This seems to imply that clef=bass middle=d is the same as clef=bass octave=-2, in other words middle= doesn't change what line the clef gets printed on, it changes the name of the note on the middle staff line! By this logic we should expect clef=treble middle=G to move G to the middle line of the staff, but the clef would stay on the 2nd line (E!). But that doesn't make any sense.

Is the second statement just wrong, or does the middle specifier change its behaviour when the note is an octave or more away?

In your first example you are defining a change of octaves. That is, the middle line of the bass clef is always SOME D or another, so the clef is not moved. in the second you are trying to move the clef with the same sort of command. But the clef does not move when you use this command. That seems illogical, but is a consistent way of treating the issue. Really using "clef=treble middle=whatevernotename" is really only a way to shift things by octaves while "clef=treble some number from 1 to 5" is used to move the clef itself from one line to another. Or, at least that is how I understand it.

skot

Postby skot » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:27 am

cboody wrote:In your first example you are defining a change of octaves. That is, the middle line of the bass clef is always SOME D or another, so the clef is not moved. in the second you are trying to move the clef with the same sort of command. But the clef does not move when you use this command. That seems illogical, but is a consistent way of treating the issue. Really using "clef=treble middle=whatevernotename" is really only a way to shift things by octaves while "clef=treble some number from 1 to 5" is used to move the clef itself from one line to another. Or, at least that is how I understand it.

Ah, okay, so "clef=treble middle=G" should produce an error? The middle value must always be a B of some kind if clef=treble, or a G if clef=treble3, etc?

Return to “Standard”