Plenty of Questions

For discussions about the abc notation standard
Humanity check: a real person
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 3

Plenty of Questions

Postby laughingman182 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:43 pm

After having looked deep into how the abc syntax works for some months now, since I'm trying to update Vim's syntax highlighting for it, I think it's safe to say that 'I:' and '%%' directives ought to be completely interchangeable, however, its a bad coding style to do so. On the other hand, 'I:' directives are required to start the line, but '%%' directives can exist anywhere before the line's end, so in a way, '%%' directives are still more configurable in nature.

Speaking about the highlighting, since XHTML and SVG are allowed, what about DocBook? It'd be interesting to see abc being used for ebooks; it'd be nice for music to be easier to learn for everyone...and easier for teachers. The problem I've come across is that including DocBook also means allowing a number of other things to include, like MathML and XML schema highlighting. I can make it either way, but I'd like others opinions as to what they'd like to see in an abc editor, since Vim has a lot of features that could really be useful to text based notation, and particularly I'd like the opinions from people clearly smarter and more experienced than myself. The real issue is that including other syntax highlighting schemes sets up for better support for things like auto completion, but at the cost of having what could be considered "unneeded features".

Lastly, I'd like to see if I could maybe extend abcpp into something like a utility for other applications to make use of abc code. One instance of something useful I'd really like to do would be a program for making 3d model movement event holders in MikuMikuDance, and a gettext utility for translating lyrics, among other parts of tunes, would be nice. As such my question is whether or not that might need some custom directives.

I know some of these questions belong in 'Software', but they have a lot to do with the standard. Any help would be great.

- Lee S.
- Lee S.

Return to “Standard”