Software installation

For discussing abc notation software
womble_lancs
Humanity check: a real person
How many letters in "spam" (4)?: 3

Software installation

Postby womble_lancs » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:30 pm

I've been using the 'covert-a-matic' on Concertina.net's website for some time, but I'd really like to have an ABC to PDF converter resident on my computer. I've downloaded abc2win and other programs in the past but have been unable to install them. I'm usually very good with computers, but I'm stumped with ABC-related ones :(

Does anyone know if there's a program which is easy to install, e.g. perhaps a self-extracting installation file?

Cheers,
Karen.

cwalshaw
Site Admin

Re: Software installation

Postby cwalshaw » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:03 pm

Sorry about the delay in moderating this post - the boards were getting spammed just before you posted so I put in some emergency measures to stop them and they didn't quite work as I expected (I didn't get emailed about new posts).

In reply to your question, personally I'm using ABCExplorer at the moment - it's pretty straightforward to install and use.

Chris

womble_lancs

Postby womble_lancs » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:39 pm

Thanks Chris - I'll go to have a look. I tried to install ABC2WIN again after posting that last message and although it seemed to install, it wouldn't run so I uninstalled it again.

tpaysen

Postby tpaysen » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:28 am

I've noticed ABCExplorer to be quite good--until I tried to print a multi-page choral score I had put together. Beyond the first page, it gets the guitar chords a little botched up (eg- leaves out subtleties - like the flat sign in "G6b5", etc.) The first page has no problem. I suspect it is the interface between ABCExplorer, and whatever pdf production mechanism it is using. I do like the fact that it sticks with whatever number of bars/stave I try to cram in (within reason). The alternative for me, in this case, was to use the command line version of abcm2ps, etc. Worked well. (Now on to Latex....)

Return to “Software”