abc tune search : copyright
Folk and traditional music - the genre that abc music notation was originally devised for and the main one that has adopted it - exists largely as an aural tradition.
Tunes and songs are freely shared at sessions, festivals and informal gatherings all over the world. Many contemporary musicians are prolific tune composers and song-writers and are happy for others to play and enjoy their music.
Nonetheless, here at the abc tune search, copyright is taken very seriously and the policy is that:
Excluded / included tunes
This means that the score and sound files for any abc tune with a C:composer field (i.e. where the composer is indicated) are usually excluded.
Exceptions are those tunes:
- where the composer is recorded as traditional or anonymous
- where the copyright has now expired - for example
- where the C:composer field has been used to record some other information (e.g. country of origin or tune type: jig, reel, etc.)
- where the composer has given their consent to have tunes listed in the tune search - see below
Please contact me if you:
- find a copyright tune (e.g. one of yours) which should have score and sound files excluded, perhaps because the composer is incorrectly attributed in the original abc file
- find an out of copyright tune which should have score and sound files included (e.g. one where the composer died more than 70 years ago)
- are a composer who is happy to have their tunes included in the tune search
I am also happy to remove any reference to a tune if the composer requests it - just let me know.
Composers who have given copyright consent
The following composers have given consent for their tunes to appear on abcnotation.com. Please enjoy their music!
IMPORTANT NOTE: the copyright of these tunes still rests with the composer and if you wish to use them in any commercial context (for example on stage or on a recording or in a book) you should contact the composer directly.
- Jan Hurst: tune search
- Anselm Lingnau: tune search
- Simon Wascher: tune search
- Rich Sobel: tune search
- Peter Kerrawn: tune search
- Kate O'Brien: tune search
- Pascal d'Hervé: tune search
- Jim McLean: tune search
- Stephen Jones: tune search
- Lennart Sohlman: tune search
- Frederick Wilson: tune search | website
- Larry Mallette: tune search | website
- Paul Haslem: tune search | website
- Henrik Holm: tune search
- Larry Unger: tune search | website
- Rognvald Mason on behalf of John Muir Mason: tune search
- Peter Davie: tune search
- June Cannon (Allardyce) on behalf of Adam Allardyce: tune search
- Ray Campbell: tune search
- Steve Keville: tune search
- Judi Morningstar: tune search
- Robert Boström: tune search | website
- Peter Jenkins: tune search | website
- Andy Cheyne: tune search
- David de la Barre: tune search | website
- Jonathan Shorland: tune search
- Bill Elsliger: tune search
- Chris Perry: tune search
- Roger Peppe: tune search
- Rob Lindauer: tune search
- Bruce Shawyer: tune search
- Pete Whittet: tune search
- Steve Jones: tune search
- George Reynolds: tune search
- Bob Liddle: tune search | website
- Jonas Brunskog: tune search | profile on folkwiki.se
- Nigel Gatherer: tune search | website
- Paul Gitlitz: tune search | website
- Sarah Gowan: tune search | website
- Colin Hume: tune search | website
- Bruce Osborne: tune search | tunes at Alf Warnock's website
Please contact me if you would like to be added to the list above.
Note that for technical reasons, it's more difficult to add individual tunes to the copyright consent list, so it's easiest if you can give consent for all of your tunes. However, I can subsequently exclude individual tunes from having copyright consent.
(In other words, if you're happy for most of your tunes to appear on this site, it shouldn't be a problem; if you have a lot but want most to be excluded, the only way I can realistically accommodate that is to exclude all of them).